Bible Study of the Day : The Person of Christ
In Jesus’ birth, Gabriel visited a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to let the virgin Mary know she would conceive the Son of the Most High. It’s almost a parallel circumstance to Zechariah and Elizabeth, but there’s something profoundly different about what happens here. Gabriel assures her that even Elizabeth has had a son in her old age, but something different about Mary is that she has faith. She believes immediately.
Elizabeth exclaims, “Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill what he has spoken to her!” What if we stepped out and had faith like Mary, and instead of doubting the Lord’s promise, we responded with a resounding “YES, I AM THE LORD’S SERVANT! MAY IT BE DONE ACCORDING TO YOUR WORD!” like Mary!
Moreover, the Person of Christ – the person that Jesus is – is a profound revelation. Dr Wayne Grudem provides an outline of the Person of Christ that I will summarize:
- Human weaknesses and limitations: Jesus had a human body, had a human mind, had a human soul and emotions
- Sinlessness: Luke 4:13 even the devil could not tempt him after 40 days; 2 Cor 5:21: he made him who knew no sin to be sin for us
- Yet Jesus was truly tempted: Heb. 4:15 “For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace…”
- He Did Not Sin: He did not sin because he resisted in human strength alone (by trusting in God and obeying), but he could not have sinned because of his divine nature
- Why was Jesus’ full humanity necessary? a. Representative: To obey God on our behalf: Rom 5:18-19
b. Substitute: To die for sin in our place: Heb. 2:16-17
c. Example: To be our example to follow in life: 1 John 2:6
and the pattern for our redeemed bodies:1 Cor. 15:42-44
d. Sympathetic priest: To sympathize as high priest: Heb. 2:18
e. Mediator: To be the one mediator betw. God & men: 1 Tim. 2:5
f. Human ruler over creation: So that a man (God’s image) might rule over creation: Heb. 2:8
7. Jesus will be a man forever
Luke 24:39 “flesh and bones”; Acts 1:11 will come in the same way he left
Acts 7:56 Son of man standing at right hand of God; Rev. 1:13 one like a Son of man
Matt. 26:29 will drink wine with disciples in Father’s kingdom
Rev. 19:9 invites us to great marriage supper in heaven
In summary, we want to have faith like Mary and assurance in the Person of Christ. Reflect on who the Person of Christ is in your life, how does he speak to you? What does he mean to you?
Prayer: Dear Lord, you brought a savior down to this Earth to be fully human, fully man with us, a man that sympathizes with our weaknesses and our frailty. He who knew no sin became sin for us, on our behalf. And He was made from the virgin Mary, who had incredible faith in your promise over her life. Lord, help us to have faith that knows and is confident in your promise for us. Help us to lean on You, and have a hunger to know more of who you are in our lives. In Jesus Name, Amen.